With the film just days away from release, we’re all getting pretty excited, but also rather impatient, waiting to see it. So, we’ve decided to put together a list of 5 interesting (well, we think they’re interesting) bits of information about If I Stay and its incredibly talented, bestselling author, Gayle Forman.
1. Did you know that the wonderful Gayle Forman hasn’t always known she wanted to be a writer? In fact, when she was little, she wanted to grow up to be the sun! This was, however, before she realised that being the sun was not a viable career option.
2. Dakota Fanning was in talks to play the part of Mia but turned it down to focus on her studies. However, it’s a good thing Chloë got the role though, as we think she fits the Mia we had in our heads perfectly. It’s not just us that thinks that, Gayle posted this image on her Tumblr saying:
‘After seeing Chloë Moretz practicing cello for the If I Stay movie, it is so obvious how meant for this role she is. Look at this picture. It’s Mia!’
3. Despite the many musical references in If I Stay, Gayle Forman actually says she isn’t musical. On her website she is asked ‘Are you a musician?’ To which she replies:
‘Not even a little bit, but if you think I am because of my books, I’m so glad because it means I did a good job of fooling you.’
She fooled us! Did she fool you?
4. Gayle Forman was asked to sort her If I Stay characters into Hogwarts houses by Buzzfeed recently. She put Mia and Adam in Gryffindor (aww) and Kim in Ravenclaw. Do you agree with her choices?
She also drew some delightful pictures of her characters, which you can see here. (Although, just a word of advice, Gayle, maybe you should stick to writing…!)
5. Our final thing for you will probably make you cry even more than the story itself, but we think it’s very important piece of information. Basically, Gayle reveals in a note at the end of If I Stay that the idea for the story came from real events that happened to a family she knew. She says:
‘Once upon a time there was a family: a mother, a father, a boy like Teddy and a baby. And once upon a time there was a snowy day. And a drive in a car. And a devastating car accident. And an unfathomable tragedy.’
(the rest of the story can be found in the back of copies of her paperback)
That’s all we have for you today sadly, so you’ll have to deal with your If I Stay pangs a little bit longer. While you wait, check out the trailer here:
Or, if that’s not enough to keep you going, and you want to know more about the inspiration behind the story and read exclusive interviews with Chloë Moritz and Jamie Blackley, who play Mia and Adam, pick up a copy of the book here.
AND if that’s still not enough!! Check out Gayle’s website for more interesting facts and updates on the film and the book from her super cool tumblr here.